Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cover up that battle wound! (Bruise/Black eye/hickey... whatever. I won't judge.

On the Style and Beauty forum I frequent, a question came up about how to cover up a fat lip due to a fall. I found this to be the perfect opportunity to create a simple tutorial on how to cover bruises, and even tattoos. Okay, hickeys, too. But, come on... don't get hickeys, K?

So, here we go.

I stained my hand to a bright red. Obviously your battle wound won't be as red as this (at least I hope not,) and if it isn't well, that's a good thing :)
"Wound" brought to you by Maybelline Color Sensational lipstain in Cranberry Crush. Super long lasting stuff, here.
Now, I used this:
Color Tattoo in Tough as Taupe (Maybelline)
to neutralize the "wound". Taupe colors have always been my personal go-to color for tattoo/black eye/bruise cover ups. Green corrective concealer will also help, but this works as well. Taupe eyeliners are a cheap alternative. Although, these are pretty cheap as well, and long lasting.
Here is the "wound", with the Tough as Taupe dabbed on, focused on the center of the wound. Not blended yet.

Here, I've blended it from the inside out.
Foundation used: MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NC 25

Add the foundation, again focusing on the center, and blending outward. Dabbing every step of the way, BTW. Fingers in all of this works just fine (I used no brushes at all)
Dabbing the foundation all the way around...
Here it is blended.
Now I've set it with powder. It's not covered as much as I'd like it to be, yet.
Powder used: Bare Minerals foundation in Golden Medium
So I added a tiny bit more taupe, then foundation, then powder, until I got the right coverage.
Repeated the process 2 additional times for desired cover-up
That's it! Like I said, it's a lot of work, but it's the only way to get a decent coverage. Foundation won't do it alone.

Oh, and just so you're convinced that the red stayed on the whole time:

That stain is strongggg, it wasn't going anywhere.

So, there you have it. Hopefully, if you're in a bind, and need to do some kind of cover up, you'll have the 3 cosmetic items required for a quick cover up. Practice makes perfect, so I'd try it hours before you need it done, just to make sure you got the steps down.

Remember, this also works for tattoo cover ups.

 

1 comment:

  1. That's a great post. I've found a very useful way to treat the bruise on my face. Thank you so much for your share.

    ReplyDelete