Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Eyeliner part 2-Product edition (GELS)

Hey!
Today will be about the actual products I use for eyeliner. Different eyeliners do different things, and can also serve different purposes. Have you ever used your eyeliner as a base for your eyeshadow? This is a great trick if you're trying to achieve a really dark color, and the eyeshadow alone just isn't cutting it. The best type of eyeliner/base is the gel eyeliner.

GEL EYELINER

FLUIDLINE: $15

EYE STUDIO LASTING DRAMA: $7-$10

JET SET: $22.00

These are just 3 of the most recent gel liners I've used. The one I used in yesterday's post was the Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner. I just purchased this eyeliner in the hopes that I will no longer have to shell out over $15 for an eyeliner.

The hardest part about this type of liner is the fact that it dries out so fast!!! Especially if you're not careful about closing it tight. Case in point, I bought a MAC fluidline once that dried out on me in a matter of 1 month! After paying so much for it, I felt pretty gypped. I mean, I got maybe 3 good uses out of it! (3 weddings with at least 3 or more girls each time, I should say.)
This is not a common occurrence with MAC's fluidline, it was just once. But, still, I would much rather pay a lot less for an eyeliner if that is a possibility, wouldn't you agree?

Smashbox's Jet Set liner is pretty similar in the way that it dries, but I also find that this product has flaked on my lids more than once. Also, the opacity is just not that strong in some of the colors (shimmery brown/bronze, purple and blues came to mind.) But, I will say that my favorite true brown eyeliner comes from this line. It was the only one that was the right shade of brown. Not too dark, not too light, and not too red.

Back to the Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner; I really liked the fact that it came with a brush, but when went to get my second color (I bought the brown today in the hopes of a cheap replacement for my brown Jet Set...) I realized that I am paying for a second brush, when I could have easily saved a few bucks by them NOT requiring me to purchase the damn brush every time! Maybe it was just my store? I don't know, but still, $10 is cheaper than the other 2, so I shouldn't complain.

As far as the quality of the Maybelline eyeliner, it works just as well as the MAC fluidline, and better than the Jet Set. Yes, it's waterproof, but I also didn't struggle with removing it. Color payoff depended on the type of brush you use, but all in all I was pretty satisfied.

There are so many different colors out there for gel liners. Sometimes I will buy colors and use them simply as a base for a specific eyeshadow. One site that I found that has a great gel liner/base product is coastalscents.com. They have tons of colors, it's pretty comparable to MAC products, and it's pretty cheap, as well. Stock up to save on shipping! The eye shadows on this site are pretty great, as well. And, again, SO CHEAP! I love cheap!  Ok, that's all for today. Have a fantastic rest of your Tuesday! Be back tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment